Brandywine & Benedictine RR
- 1620 Highland Farm Drive
- Suwanee, GA 30024
Sunday October 28, 2012 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
DirectionsSee It On The Map
1. Go northbound on I-85 to the Old Peachtree Rd exit. (The new exit is now open)
2. Go west (toward Buford Hwy.) on Old Peachtree Rd to South Scales Rd.
3. Turn right on South Scales Rd.
4. Go to the Highland Lake subdivision on the right, Turn right on Highland Bluff
5. Go about 200 ft and turn right on Highland Farm Drive. The house is on the right, Address on the mailbox. (There will be a small sign to guide them to the railroad.)
Layout at a Glance
The Brandywine & Benedictine Railroad is a Class 1 Appalachian coal hauler modeled in 1953. It runs north and south from Winston Salem, NC to Pittsburgh, PA. Motive power is a 50/50 mix of steam and first generation diesel power.
The railroad is designed with prototype operations in mind with jobs to keep 12 to 16 people busy. The B&B is controlled using Digitrax DCC and a computer running RR&CO software.
|Size||2000 square feet|
|Prototype||Freelance based on Eastern coal haulers|
|Locale||Virginia and West Virginia|
|Era||1953 steam to diesel transition|
|Style||Walk around with radio throttles|
|Len. of Mainline||320'|
|Layout Height||48" to 62"|
|Roadbed||Cork and Homasote|
|Trackwork||Hand laid code 70|
|Turnouts||#6 on main, #5 in yard|
|Maximum Grade||1.75% mainline, 4% branchline|
|Backdrop||2" painted foam|
|Controls||Digitrax DCC using a computer to control turnouts and signals.|
Updated: Sat Mar 30 07:02:05 2013